Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What's in a name?

So - for those of you who don't know, my grandmother passed away back in March. (i'll have to post about the Shiva at some point because it was ummm... interesting - my husband calls all of the family drama "as long island turns" :) )

So anyways, her estate is being handled by a good Estate lawyer out of Florida. He is good, but apparently there is no quality control on his paralegals, who were apparently rushing to get the paperwork out.

SO I finally receive the paperwork to sign, so I can receive my inheritence. first of all, my First name and my Married name are spelled wrong on EVERY document. In addition, I have to remove my Married name from the doc (I hyphenate) because I haven't changed my name on anything - Including my social security card. So any official doc that requires my SS# needs to be in my maiden name. SO I go through and change everything to my Maiden name, with the correct spelling of my first name, Initial and sign everything. Then i'm rereading one document which then says "I also hereby confirm that Anothony's SS# and our current address to be as follows:" Umm.. my name isn't anthony. Anthony is my MINOR cousin. So i'm not even sure this document is the right one, but I made corrections and initialed and I'm going to mail them all in. But it's frustrating... how hard is it really? you verify the name, type it in correctly once, and then cut and paste to all the other documents. MY cousin Pam's paperwork had her last name spelled wrong throughout.

My mother got a call from the paralegal last week, saying "do you know who mr & mrs X are?" X is my mom's new married name. She was trying to reconcile the check book and saw the check made out to my mom and her husband as a wedding present. I have no patience for idiocy anymore... :)

1 comment:

minijaxter said...

yeah i know the feeling.