Friday, March 02, 2007

Silly? me? no.... you must be mistaken - NA na na na naaaa na. :P

So apparently I'm in a silly mood today. No idea why - just feeling a whee little bit silly.

hum de hum de hum.... :)

So... silly SukaStar story... :)

Auntie Em was telling them a story because apparently Sukaspawn is starting to get her first tooth. (she was born august 5th, this seems a bit delayed to me but what do i know.) Anyways - she's tell them this story about Star's grandmother and how the tradition went, that everytime the baby got a new tooth, you were supposed to buy the mother a new pair of shoes. well, that's a loaded gun right there.

My mom remembers the tradition a little differently. She remembers "when the baby gets their FIRST tooth, you buy the BABY their first pair of shoes." That seems to make a lot more sense, since by the time of their first tooth, they are probably starting to experiment with crawling and standing maybe (depending on development.) it just indicates another milestone.

So Star takes Suka out to look at shoes, and she picks a pair. Anyone want to guess what designer she picked? I"ll give you a hint: The Devil is near by... :)


Yup - She picked out an inexpensive pair of Prada's. (only $350.) To which - my cousin showed a little bit of improvement and said "umm no, what are you smoking?" I'm told she picked another pair from nordstroms, another designer but we're not sure who. But we're guessing still over $100. :) Now - I am willing to pay over $100 for a pair of shoes. But there are certain criteria. A) i'm willing to pay for certain brands. Namely dansko primarily. Because it is an orthotically designed shoe, that i will generally wear quite a bit. they are worth the money for the most part. b) A good sturdy pair of boots or C) a well built designed dress shoe that is COMFORTABLE and that I will get a lot of use out of. But it's rare that i'm willing to spend that much.

I mean honestly - can someone please tell me what makes a pair of Prada's or Manolo's worth a few hundred dollars??? I have yet to understand that myself.


Anyway, i find that whole story very entertaining. She's now gonna get a lot of shoes that she probably doesn't need. :)

There's other stuff going on, but I may save that for the other location. I"ll let you know if i post there any time soon.

Have a great weekend everyone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite entertaining! No shoes at Nordstrom are under $100 I think, even the clearance ones.

the only difference between a $350 Prada and my $65 Nine West, the sucker wearing the Pradas :-)

Ilanna said...

EXACTLY!!!! :) hahah - truth is, any design that works really well for prada and manolo etc.. will be copied for normal people within a year or so, when they can be bought for $65. :) SUCKERS!! :)

minijaxter said...

that is way too funny.
i wish i had heard that when Silver was teething.
And 7 months is not delayed all kids are different. Some dont get teeth almost a year.
But once they start coming in its one right after the other. It will stop for a bit and then they will get 2 yr molars and again some at 3 I think... Im not sure my daughter has a whole mess of teeth though... Maybe when she loses her teeth around 6 I can talk Josh into getting me shoes.... hmmmm....
or how about I just buy shoes when I need them? like normal people. And I think the most I spent on shoes was 60 dollars and those were cleats that I needed when I played field hockey.

Anonymous said...

Any excuse for more stuff I guess. Jackie's right about the timing of teething. When speaking of someone with this type of excess I'd normally say that it must be nice to be independently wealthy but in this case, we know they aren't.

mary bishop said...

Ilanna, your mom's memory is the one I have heard. Nice to see though that it can change into a gift giving moment for the overindulged Suka. Too bad it wasn't a diamond for each tooth...!