Friday, February 09, 2007

I'm such a geek... :)

It's true. It really is.

It's not that I fix and play with computers. Though I do do that, computers aren't really new and interesting anymore. Heck i bought a new one 2 weeks ago and I still haven't hooked the bugger up. :) cuz i'm feeling too lazy to untangle all the cables. I guess i'll have to do it this weekend if i ever want to print things again. :)

It's the gadgetness that makes me a geek. I can look at all kinds of things - and it could be a gadget that does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and I will ooh and ahh and look at the pretty lights. Give me a kitchen gadget and i'm in absolute heaven. :)

Heck - I can admit it, I want a spinning wheel because it's using a Gadget to make stuff. Just because I can admit the desire, does NOT mean I don't want it any more. It's a nifty gadget. I like gadgets. :)

However, I think the following is really the ultimate in geekiness. I mean there's the geek level that says, "ooh that's a great idea, i dont' need it but i want it" factor. There's the "ooh, i wonder how they got that to do that factor." And then, there's this.

This is Andes Yarn. It's 100% wool. It's not something I would normally choose to knit with. it's also $9.50 a hank. That's expensive if you want to actually make something substantial with it because I think it's only about 150 yards of yarn for that $9.50. It's not super soft and pettable either (like the hank of baby alpaca i bought for $13.50 - a whopping 110 yards, but i had to buy because it was SOOOO soft.)

No. I bought this because of the colors. YOu see how the hank is died? Like they wound it and then just dipped sections of it in the dye? Kind of like tie dying a tshirt. I bought this yarn because i *HAD* to see how it balled up. I needed to see what would happen when you put it into ball form, and see what order the colors come in. I'll probably eventually knit a square or some such out of it, if only to see how it all works up. That is the ONLY reason I bought this. I needed to see what would happen. :) How sad is that?

Now, as Minijaxter said, over at the Knit Knack blog, they are working to create a blanket of hope for someone with lymphoma. I think this is a great idea. I am more than happy to work on making a piece of this blanket. The kicker is, there is a slightly selfish desire to do this as well. :) It means that I can justify buying some yarn i'd NEVER normally buy myself. And then get to try it out with out bankrupting myself. You see - for me, and for babies etc, I always knit with acrylic type yarns. Why? Because they are easy care machine washable and won't felt. :) They are also CHEAP! Like $1.99 for 200 yards. Much more affordable for the hobby and there's some really nice soft ones out there so it's great. *BUT* it does not mean that on occasion i can't try something new right? But as stated before at $9.50 or more a hank, when you need 5-10 hanks to make something, that's a LOT of money. :) SO buy knitting a square or two for the blanket of hope, that lets me justify buying a few different yarns to play with that I would normally NEVER buy for myself to use. ANd since 1 square won't even use UP an entire hank, I only need to buy one, and $9.50 then seems MUCH more affordable. :)

So - I'm a geek. A tactile geek, but a geek none the less. Soon as I ball that yarn this weekend by the way, I will take another picture to show you how it balls up, and then once I knit it - i'll take a picture of the swatch so you can see how it knits too. Just cuz, i know you are ALL as curious as I am. LOL!

have a great weekend!

2 comments:

minijaxter said...

i betcha that yarn will stripe
:)

i want a spinning wheel too but cant justify it. especially with the little one running around:)

Anonymous said...

The cool thing about a spinning wheel is it's one of the oldest gadgets there is. I just love using something that has the same basic prinipals that existed when it was first created.

That's gorgeous yarn, I can see why you had to buy it.