Monday, July 24, 2006

I think i need to move away

From the heavy posting that is. :) lets move onto lighter things. Of course I don't really have a topic in mind at the moment.

Not much is going on really. I saw two movies this weekend. Pirates of the carribean 2- dead man's chest was the first. Then we did a double feature and saw ClerksII right after. I enjoyed both movies for entirely different reasons. Pirates was a great historical fantasy. Fun and energetic, and scary all at the same time. Clerks was just sick - which is to be expected.

Of course this leads to a minor rant.

For those of you with kids (and granted Idon't have any of my own yet) I understand the desire to get out of the house and see a movie or do something away from the house. But if you really need to get away. Get a sitter.

Bringing your 2 year old (roughly) to see a PG-13 movie is just ASININE and irresponsible. There's a reason it's PG-13. SCARY STUFF! I mean really. I honestly think that unless a movie is rated G, then children under 5 or 6 shouldn't even be allowed in the THEATRE, regardless of parental approval.

So yes, when we were watching pirates, right behind us was a couple with what appeared to be a 2 year old. one who was frequently crying and upset through out the movie. Kicking the seat I was in etc. But obviously unhappy with being there, whether or not he was scared of the movie. What p*ssed me off even more, was the parents who kept reprimanding him with "Shut your mouth right now!" So not only did you bring the child to a movie ENTIRELY inappropriate for him, but now you are punishing him and yelling at him for being scared and upset while watching said movie.

Truth be told, i'm an advocate for "childrens only" type shows. They used to do this on long island at one of the theatres i'd go to. It was labeled a "mother's show." It was a specific time that was publicized for parents to bring their children to. Anyone without kids who went to that show was informed that it was a mother's show, and to be aware there would probably be a lot of noisy children etc in the theatre and it is your choice to put up with it.

I know the ratings sytem is really a guideline, but I call upon ALL parents out there to actually use some common sense in taking your children to movies and realizze that PG13 is there for a reason, and should be SOME indicator as to the content of the movie.

Ok - rant over for the moment. I'm curious to see if all of you out there who are parents agree or disagree with me. it would be good to know if i'm speaking out of turn not being a parent myself, or if it actually makes sense. :)

4 comments:

mary bishop said...

I'm a mother but I second what you said -- keep the little kids out of the big people's movies and out of expensive restaurants past 8PM.

We kept making our reservations later and later hoping to find a time when kids were in bed but it doesn't seem to happen. It really pissed us off when we were paying for a sitter for our kids but were just as annoyed trying to eat dinner because of someone elses kids.

Ilanna said...

ahh good - i feel better now. :) I mean i've been out with my friends and their kids and they are usually pretty good. the 8 monhth old by lack of mobility and being a happy baby is a little easier to deal with - but it's not too bad, and the reservation was for before 8. We were done by about 815 in time for kiddie bedtimes. And it tends to be a more family friendly restaurant usually when any of my friends bring their kids...

as for movies- I think most of them tend to find a sitter for when they hit the movies.. ya know? It's not always easy to do but ;) that's the advantage we have in this day and age - movies are out in 6 months on dvd. Kid goes to bed - rent away. :) (saves money in the long run anyway with how much movies cost now a days)

but - if i'm spending $9.25 on a movie - I don't want the kid behind me screaming in my ear...

mary bishop said...

I second El G and the cell phone thing...please please..the people with the two way "walkie talkie" phones also should be banned.

We're out having pizza and the guy in the next booth is having an audible conversation with his wife about picking up popsicles for Jason who's vomiting all over the place.

Nice pizza talk.

minijaxter said...

OK so you guys make me feel so much better about myself and my parenting.
My daughter does not go to movies. I dont think she would like it right now she is too little.

Although most of the movie theaters in our area do have kiddie shows so to speak. Know when they are? 10am on Tuesday.
Why cant they be 10am on Saturday so I could actually go?
Know when mommy and me yoga is? 1030am on Wednesday.

See where I am going with this? These things are geared to SAHMs (stay at home moms) and not the working parents.

So even if I wanted to take my child to the movies or God forbid spend bonding time while exercising I couldnt.

However I dont go to the movies with my daughter I wait until I know she is going to be at my parents and I plan around that.
Silver is usually good at restaurants as long as we pay attention to her. Makes it a little hard to go out to eat with friends but if we give her toys and food she is appeased for 5 minutes.

I agree with you all on all points though.