Monday, July 03, 2006

I kneed a cane..... :)

So Thursday night.. 20 minutes before the Personal Trainer (PT) was due to show up, I'm walking downstairs in socks to get my sneakers (this is why i HATE wearing socks :) ) and I slip. My left foot slipped off the edge of the step and jammed down or did something and my knee POPPED! Now occasionally my knee cap moves in and out of place and it's a minor pop that I can walk off quickly and it's all good. Unofortunately this was a massive pop and my knee swelled up quite a bit later on.

So I called the trainer and said "what do you want to do?" and she said "well just modify the workout, no need to cancel." So that's what we did. We did a seated workout so there was no weight bearing on my leg. What frustrated me though, was that I had finally gotten my bike trainer, and the computer for it all hooked up and hadn't gotten a chance to try it out yet. We decided not to do the bike thursday though since my knee was hurting, and i would have had to go all the way downstairs again.

So, I have an MRI scheduled for friday morning at 730. one hour before i have to be at the lawyer's office for closing on my mother's houses...WHEEE that's gonna be a fun day. :) Hopefully i haven't damaged my knee further than it already was... but it's very sloppy now, and i'm using a cane since i'm paranoid. :) and it stiffens up pretty quick.

In the long run, not riding the bike was probably a good thing. See my mom came up this weekend because I was so excited about the idea of using a bike with a trainer, that she started to remember how much she used to LOVE riding her bike. But she doesn't have a functional one anymore. So one thing we did was go to the bike shop to see if she could find a bike she likes and so she could order a trainer for herself. While we were there i started discussing my issues wiht my bike and trying a few out myself. Wasn't sure though, so we went to lunch went home got my bike and brought it back to the store. Turns out when i bought it 3 or 4 years ago, it was too small. That's why my knees hit my stomach when I ride and my arms are all bent etc. It's a 16. now i'm only 5'3' or 5'4". a 16 is normal size for that height. unfortunately i'm also 5'4" but wear Medium Tall jeans. I have long legs. :) So i've got a new bike. (or will today when I go to pick it up.) A raleigh Venture 4.0. I like the gearing better, and it's a size 18 mens. The mens have a broader wheel base which is better for my longer arms and legs. The women's 19 felt smaller to me than the mens 18. Interesting eh? :) So they are putting on more Hybrid style tires for me, rather than the more "mountain" style that are on that bike now. it's a "comfort" bike - along the same lines as the hybrids, but more towards the mountain side and more "cruising" style. So thicker tires, not as designed for speed or performance. But changing the tires will make a big difference.

So - anyone want to buy a lightly used bike? :) size 16 womens? It's a great bike, and I liked it a lot, it just didn't fit me too well. It's a raleigh C40. :)

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend, and when i pick up the bike today i'll let you know how it is. :) Mom btw - bought the same exact bike.. :) like mother like daughter. :)

1 comment:

minijaxter said...

too funny... maybe elisa or mads would like the bike?

i know mads doesnt know how to ride but we can teach her;)