Tuesday, June 20, 2006

We know what's good for you... don't argue...

Sorry - forgot to post yesterday... still trying to get into the habit. :)

So this morning's rant regards corporate polciies and their claim to know what's better for you health wise or anything else than you know.

The current complaint is the flourescent lights. big long tubes of flourescent lights, 3 per fixture, and fixtures about 3 feet apart. There are 2 sets of these, 6 TOTAL bulbs that glare right on my and where i have to face based on how the cubicles are positioned.

I've had these lights removed in the past. Unfortunately, there is a NEW directive from facilities management that all bulbs will be in and active, and this is for the good of the employee as we are then providing adequate and appropriate lighting for a good work environment. This also provides a more corporate look for when clients come to visit, as lights being out looks bad to visitors.

This is bull! I have a headache and eye strain within 20 minutes of being at work. THe lights cause monitor flicker. I have high end antireflective lenses and they don't do sh*t to stop the flicker and the glare and the headache issues... and since i'm at the computer ALL day, this is not a good thing... (hell I have 2 monitors on my desk that I need to keep on so that's double!) (sigh)

stupid policies... i'm working on getting a doctor's note to see if i can have the lights removed for medical reasons. If not I might have to talk to my bosses about working from home more often just to save me the headaches and eye strain. WOuld you believe they said "we can't take the lights out but we can move you closer to the window" umm..well. see i'm already as close to the window as you can get, so a) that won't help and b) do you really think I want to pack up and move my entire cubicle along with computers cables etc just b/c they wont' take out a few lightbulbs? sheesh...(i might have to sneak in a BB gun...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just heard something about this. I can't recall where though. It was this guy retelling his stint living in a local walmart for ... a week or so. He said that the constant flourescent lighting made him feel tired and ill. Do some web searches I bet you'll find substantiating articles you can give the company... have them get those super expensive full spectrum lights that they use for treatment of S.A.D. Imagine! It'll be like free therapy!!!